Movies. Films. And movies.

Monday, December 04, 2006


The Polar Express
Starring Tom Hanks, Nona Gaye, Eddie Deezen
Written and Directed by Robert Zemeckis

Seeing as how I watched Halloween themed films around Halloween, it only makes sense that I watch Christmas themed films around Christmas. I started with The Polar Express.

Honestly speaking, I thought I was going to dislike this film. Not hate, but dislike. Dislike because of the fact that it was going to be another one of those animated films (please stop trying to replace humans) and it was going to be filled with sappy sentimentality. Well, it was another one of those animated films and it was filled with sappy sentimentality -- but I liked it.

Yes, the animation is a little creepy at times based on how real and fake it looks (they motion captured the hell out of Tom Hanks for this one), but the film contained a surprising amount of action for a kid’s film. I found myself really getting into some of the chase scenes and rollercoasteresque sequences (this film is in Imax 3D after all). If you really think about it -- this story (adapted from the children’s book by Chris Van Allsburg) was just an excuse to execute some new animation techniques and create a new thrill ride experience for Imax under the disguise that it is a family holiday treat. It also let Tom Hanks act out at least six characters, hopefully not getting paid for each since they all sound pretty much the same (no more voice overs for you this year).

The Polar Express tells the story of a boy who is on the verge of losing his belief in Santa Claus and gets picked up by The Polar Express for a first class train ride to see him in person. Along the way he gains new friends and shows that he is worthy to see the big guy in red. If you ask me, I think it is kind of creepy that a train comes on Christmas Eve and picks up little kids, but hey, then again the idea of an old guy invading your house is kind of creepy too, so what do I know. That statement shows that I do not believe in Santa Claus, which this film would have a problem with. The Polar Express tells us that all we have to do is believe and that Christmas is in our hearts and, and... somehow I really enjoyed it. I guess some things, like Santa Claus, you just can’t explain.


THE RUNDOWN:

The Good: Fun action sequences, good fun for the family.

The Bad: Animation is kind of creepy at times due to how real/fake it looks.

The Law: Check it out in Imax 3D or rent it on Christmas Eve for the kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home