Movies. Films. And movies.

Monday, July 09, 2007


98 - STOP - ALL


I am 29 and I have stopped buying comic books.

Is it the age or is it that I just simply lost interest in the storylines being told? I don’t know. Whatever it is -- it is sad.

Comic books were an integral part of my life and now they are no more. It is like losing a best friend -- it hurts.

My friend says my relationship with comics was like a marriage. I loved them to death at first and now it has just fizzled out...

I disagree.

I think of my relationship with comic books as more of a drug dealer and drug user type relationship. I “needed” them at one point in my life to get me through the ordinary, but now I have other things like my screenwriting that capture my imagination. If you really think about it -- I guess I just stopped being lazy. Instead of looking to a piece of material to feed me stories and images, I have now reached a stage where I now prefer to create my own.

Nonetheless, I will always remember the sweet escapes...

Thanks for the memories...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger James said...

in the interests of open and honest communication, and the belief that communication has and will continue to be the only way to improve the world...i will need to start reading this blog instead of your myspace one. so, i must, nay, i am compelled, re-post what i posted at myspace in response to this blog.

i have a theory. if you're a creative type, then there's only so much one can consume before one feels sucked dry. Creative types have to give and receive in order to stay balanced. If that ratio slips too far, then creative output goes to the dogs and enjoyment of other art forms declines.

If artists output > artists consumption, then the output becomes self indulgent, lazy.
If artists output < artists consumption, then the artist loses interest in the art form itself.

No one likes a one way street. I think your post is really saying 'i need to write my own comics for a while, then i can go back to them and use them to influence my own comics'.

Or it could be that comics suck these days? i don't know, never bought them.

6:45 AM

 
Blogger Law said...

Thank you James for your insight... Very deep. Are you on drugs by any chance...?

2:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home